Red Lentil Dahl
3 cups water
1 cup red lenti’s
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp ginger, minced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 cup lite or regular coconut milk
1 tbs chopped cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste
Combine lentils and water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook about 20 min until lentils are mushy. While lentils are cooking, combine garlic, ginger, cumin and tumeric. When lentils are mushy, add garlic combination. Cook for about 3 min. Add coconut milk and cilantro, cook for 1 more min, add salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
Barbecued Turkey on Focaccia
4 pieces focaccia or thick-sliced,
country-style rosemary bread
1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
8 slices barbecued turkey breast
4 slices canned pineapple, drained
4 teaspoons honey mustard
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Lightly toast bread.
In small bowl combine avocado, lemon juice and horseradish. Divide into four portions and spread on bread. Top each sandwich with two slices of turkey and a pineapple slice. Spread 1 teaspoon mustard over each sandwich; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each and place under broiler, cooking until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Sauerkraut and Pork Shoulder Roast
1 14-1/2-ounce can sauerkraut with caraway seeds, rinsed and drained
1 2-1/2-pound boneless pork shoulder roast or pork sirloin roast
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
1. Place sauerkraut in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Trim fat from
meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into the slow cooker. Lightly
sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Spread mustard over meat. Place meat on top of sauerkraut in cooker. Pour beer over the meat.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Transfer meat to a cutting board; cool slightly. Slice meat,
discarding any fat. Serve sauerkraut with meat. Makes 8 servings.
Open-Face Pork Sandwiches: Toast rye bread slices; spread one side of each slice with Dijon-style mustard. Arrange bread slices on a baking
sheet. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Top each bread slice
with drained sauerkraut, shredded pork, and shredded Swiss cheese. Place baking sheet under broiler 3 to 4 inches from the heat. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
Grilled Chicken Fettuccine
1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
12 ounces dried fettuccine
1/4 cup purchased pesto
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Dash black pepper
Toasted pine nuts (optional)
Snipped fresh basil (optional)
1. In a small saucepan heat whipping cream and butter until butter
melts. Gradually add Parmesan cheese, stirring until combined. Cover and eep warm over low heat.
2. For a charcoal grill, grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill
directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no
longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For
a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on
grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
3. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
4. Cut grilled chicken into bite-size pieces. In a medium bowl toss
chicken with 1 tablespoon of the pesto. Add remaining pesto and Parmesan mixture to the hot cooked fettuccine. Add tomatoes. Toss to coat. Arrange fettuccine on a serving platter; sprinkle with pepper. Top with grilled chicken. If desired, garnish with pine nuts and/or basil. Makes 6 servings
1/3 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. vegetable oil
3 tbsp. chili sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
Dash of dry mustard
3 lb. chicken wings
MARINADE: Combine lemon juice, soy sauce, oil, chili sauce, garlic, pepper, celery seed and mustard. Stir well, set aside. Cut chicken wings at joint and remove wing tips. Place chicken in baking dish.
Pour marinade over chicken. Cover, refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain and place on broiler tray. Broil about 10 minutes each side with tray about 7 inches from heating element. Brush occasionally with marinade.
Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
2 (2-1/2 lb. ea.) chickens, cut up
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TB soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Arrange chicken in 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, pour half mixture over chicken, cover and refrigerate chicken for at least 1 hour or over night.
Cover and refrigerate bowl of remaining marinade for basting. Drain chicken, discard liquid.
Wear a hot mitt, and use tongs to arrange medium hot briquettes in a ring, leaving 12 inches in center free of coals.
Grill chicken on covered grill, skin side down, in center of grid, directly over coal free area for 25 minutes.
Baste with reserved marinate.
Turn, cook 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink at bone.
Alternately, on gas grill, set end burners on medium heat, leave center burner off, place chicken over off burner and cook as instructed above.
SPICY CHICKEN BREASTS
4 chicken breast fillets, trimmed, halved
1/2 cup fruit chutney
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
Preheat oven to 180C [ 350F ].
Grease a 5cm [ 2 inch ] deep, 21cm x 29cm [ 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 inch ] base
Arrange chicken in dish.
Whisk remaining ingredients together. Pour over chicken.
Turn to coat. Bake for 25 or until chicken is cooked through….Serve.
Wichita Baked Drumsticks
8 chicken drumsticks
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup crushed packaged herb stuffing
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Dip drumsticks in melted butter. Roll in dredge mixture. Place drumsticks on a greased 10″ x 15″ jelly roll pan. Sprinkles with remaining butter and dredge mixture. Bake in a preheated 375ºF., oven for about 1 hour or until done — do not turn.
1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers, finely chopped, plus 1/4 cup pickling liquid
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 TB dry mustard
2 TB chili sauce
2 TB brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
6 (about 2-1/2 lb.) chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless, cut into strips
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 TB table salt
1 tsp. baking powder
4 large egg whites
1 cup vegetable oil
1. For the sauce: Whisk ingredients together in large bowl.
2. For the chicken: Cover chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound lightly with meat mallet until about 1/2 inch thick. Slice breasts in half lengthwise and transfer to large zipper-lock storage bag.
Add 1/4 cup Firecracker Sauce to bag, seal, and gently squeeze bag to coat chicken with sauce. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder. Add 6 tablespoons Firecracker Sauce and, combine until mixture resembles coarse, wet sand.
4. In another large bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Working with one strip at a time, dip chicken in egg whites and transfer to flour mixture, pressing lightly to adhere. Place chicken pieces on wire rack set on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes (or up to 4 hours).
5. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200º F. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Carefully place half of chicken strips in oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet lined with paper towels and place in warm oven. Repeat with remaining chicken strips. Transfer chicken to platter, drizzle with remaining sauce, and serve.
Orange Honey Chicken
1-1/2 cups vegetable juice
2 tbs lemon juice
4 tsp honey
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2-1/2 to 3-lb broiler-fryer, cut-up
In 12×8 inch baking dish, stir together vegetable juice, lemon juice, honey, peel, garlic powder and pepper. Place chicken in marinade, turning to coat. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours, turning pieces occasionally.
Remove chicken from marinade, reserving marinade. Place chicken on grill; grill 6 inches from heat 35 minutes or until fork-tender, basting chicken with marinade and turning occasionally with tongs.
Makes 6 servings.